Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Characters Part Two

Do you ever have ideas for characters even when you don't have a story going for them? If so do you write it down to remember them?-- Jaysen27

Your question is really making me think here. I'm not sure that I never have a story that the character could be in. I usually have an idea of where they can come into the story or even in its sequel. Sometimes I might come up with a character trait I want to create a character with, and then in that case I do write them down.

Along those lines I did have a character without a book to be in. I was reading a story here on Wattpad and the main guy in it was cold and shut off. After reading the story I really wanted to write a character that was that way. I wanted to learn why he was like that.

When I read the prompt that led to Expiration Date, I knew it was my chance to create this character. He became the second character I introduced. His name is Erik, and he is one of the most important characters in the book. It has been amazing getting to develop and explore him and see him open up more as the story continues.

I think the reason why I usually have a story for them is because when coming up with a character and when you begin to know who they are, you get to discover a story. It works in reverse too.

I hope that answers your question and I hope my answer wasn't confusing. If it was, let me know and I will try to clarify more. Thank you for asking though. I really appreciate your question.

You can find more post on writing on my guide "A Need To Write" on Wattpad.

1 comment:

  1. I love Erik so much������
    I wanted to ask if you keep writing as and when the story comes to your mind, or do you like make up the plot for the entire book and then start writing?

    ReplyDelete